My Guide Website?
Copenhagen: Royal History Self-Guided Walking Tour
Hear tales of turmoil and the royals that helped transform Copenhagen on this self-guided audio tour. Experience the magic of GPS playback as you walk past palaces, churches, and other landmarks.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Copenhagen:If youʻre booking your trip to Copenhagen last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Immerse yourself in the city's history with dramatic tales
- Hear from producer James Cowan who moved to Copenhagen in 2019
- Do it all in 90 minutes or linger at stops along the way
- Get unlimited use before your booking date and after it
- Use the virtual tour option at home
DescriptionDiscover how Copenhagen transcended its medieval past to become a great power, on a walking tour between two famous city sites. Our walk starts at Kongens Nytorv, the King’s New Square and ends at Amalienborg, home of the Danish royal family. Along the way, you’ll hear stories of the triumphs and disasters that have enriched the city. I’ll share some of the dramatic tales that helped shape Copenhagen, including the catastrophic fire of 1795, the deadly bombardment of 1807, and the secret tunnel built to rescue a king. Copenhagen’s history is one of constant threat of attack by rivals – and, at one point, a plague of rats! Highlights include: • Charlottenborg palace, with its restrained baroque aesthetic • Amalienborg palace’s resplendent grandeur • The glittering dome of the Marble Church, the largest dome in Scandinavia • Thott and Erichsen mansions • Copenhagen’s modern playhouse and opera house, with their bold design During the course of this walk, you’ll also hear stories of important characters from the city’s past. There’s the queen who rallied a frightened people and made them heroes in a time of war, the builder king who transformed Denmark, and the king who rode on horseback with his people and defied Nazi occupiers. And let’s not forget the drunken king who let the arts flourish, and the mad king who was confined to his glittering palace. All along our route, take in the majesty of the city’s architecture and the colourful jollity of Nyhavn’s famous harbourfront buildings, revealing clues of times gone by on their walls. Music and sound effects help bring the past to life during this walking tour, and much of the walk takes place on traffic-free routes.
IncludesLifetime access to this tour in English VoiceMap App for Android and iOS Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- You need to install the VoiceMap smartphone app.
- You can download the tour at any time, before or after your booking date. It’s best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point.
- This tour follows a set route and includes turn-by-turn directions. It works best if you start it in the right place and follow the directions from one location to the next.
- When the download completes, you’ll see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point.
- This tour is only available in English.