My Guide Website?
Copenhagen: Slotsholmen Royal History Self-Guided Audio Tour
Discover 900 years of history in Copenhagen’s spectacular royal center of power on a self-guided audio tour. Experience the magic of GPS playback on this immersive stroll through Slotsholmen.
- Find out how the original fortress evolved over the centuries
- Hear from producer James Cowan, a Copenhagen local since 2019
- Do it all in 90 minutes or go at your own pace
- Get unlimited use before your booking date and after it
- Use the virtual tour option at home
DescriptionSlotsholmen, the island in Cophenhagen’s harbour, has been a power base for nearly 900 years, for Copenhagen’s founder, Denmark’s kings and today’s Danish parliament, housed in the beautiful Christiansborg Palace. This walking tour starts at the very spot where Copenhagen’s story began in the 1100s, Højbro Plads, before crossing over to ‘the Castle Island’, as Slotsholmen is known. There are centuries worth of fascinating tales to listen to and several historical buildings to take in before our tour ends in front of Thorvaldsen Museum, dedicated to Bertel Thorvaldsen who inspired kings and nobles. You’ll hear how the original fortress evolved over the centuries into a series of castles and, later, spectacular palaces. I’ll show you how to spot where earlier palaces have been blended into the current complex, and I’ll tell you how to access the underground ruins of the medieval castles. You’ll also hear about Denmark’s rulers, including Christian IV, the larger-than-life “builder king” who created beautiful buildings but bankrupted the country. Then there’s Frederik VII, the unlikely hero king who avoided a revolution, and Christian VI, the shy king who created northern Europe’s largest and most awe-inspiring palace. You’ll also discover a secret garden! Other highlights you can look forward to on this tour include: • Seeing the statue of Copenhagen’s founder, Bishop Absalon • Taking in the Palace Chapel, where for generations monarchs have been baptised, married, and lain in state after death • Spotting the Christiansborg Palace balcony, from which new monarchs are proclaimed to the people • Finding out about the doorway to Folketing, the Danish Parliament, with its controversial engravings • Discovering the peaceful tranquility of the Royal Library Garden, one of the city’s best kept secrets with an unlikely history • Hearing about the Royal Library and its bold modern extension, the Black Diamond • Travelling back to 1943, when the Danes united to rescue almost all of the country’s Jewish population before they could be seized by Nazi occupiers • Passing the ornate and historic Court Theatre Allow at least 90 minutes to get the most out of this tour. Music and sound effects, including a magnificent royal pageant with hundreds of white horses, help bring the stories to life.
IncludesLifetime access to this tour in English VoiceMap app for Android and iOS Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- The tour uses a mobile app. You will need to download the app and then use the voucher code provided to download the tour It is a self-guided audio tour that you can start, pause, or restart at any time and complete at your own pace You can download the tour at any time, before or after your booking date. It is best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point When the download is complete, you will see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point The tour follows a set route and includes turn-by-turn directions. It works best if you start it in the right place and follow the directions from one location to the next Please note that you'll need to use your own mobile device and headphones for this tour. The tour is only available in English