My Guide Website?
Copenhagen: Alternative 1.5-Hour Private Walking Tour14 Reviews
Get off the usual tourist trail and take a 1.5-hour private guided walk through the alternative Christianshavn neighborhood of Copenhagen. Learn more about the Freetown of Christiania, where the old and new exist in harmony to create a free-spirited vibe.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Copenhagen:If youʻre booking your trip to Copenhagen last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Venture off the beaten track and explore the alternative communities of Christianshavn
- See the colorful houses of Nyhavn and the Church of Our Saviour
- Travel back in time and listen to some great stories about Freetown Christiana
DescriptionExplore the free-spirited neighbourhood of Christianshavn and learn more about the lifestyles of the different communities and how the area came about. Cross the bridge from Nyhavn to see a newly built residential complex. Then, turn a corner to discover the typical narrow houses of Christianshavn. Venture off the beaten track and hear how the area developed from a former military site, with the aim of becoming a self-governing society. Discover an acclaimed restaurant with 2 Michelin stars and the site where the women’s prison used to be. Hear why the area became known as 'free-spirited Copenhagen' for its progressive values, including a relaxed attitude to cannabis and its popularity with activists, hippies and the gay rights movement. End on the doorstep of Christiana at the most free-spirited place of them all. Note, the tour does not take place in or enter the area of Christiania, as guides are not allowed to do tours inside the area.
IncludesPrivate guide Walking tour of Christianshavn
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and weather appropriate clothing
- Bring a water bottle
- The tour does not take place inside the area of Christiania, as guides are not allowed to do tours there. Guests are welcome to continue into Christiania after the tour on their own (it is approximately a 15-minute walk back to Nyhavn).